The first Cali-Baja Binational Logistics Railway Forum took place Friday, June 9 in the city of Tecate, Mexico. The Forum was attended by more than 200 people from the academic, industrial and other interested sectors.
Speakers with a long track record in the industrial sector and related to the railway sector discussed the relevance of having the support of the private sector in achieving a comprehensive rail system. The speakers also highlighted the needs of industries in the region that would benefit from the railway and the importance of having a competitive infrastructure that provides logistics solutions to the maquiladora industry. The speakers included:
- David Gazzetta, Director General of Operations of Union Pacific Railroad
- Francisco González, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) Hazardous Materials Manager
- Jorge Izquierdo, Baja California Railroad Commercial and Marketing Manager
- Óscar García, National Counselor and Director of the INDEX Tijuana Ombudsman Committee
- Luis Echeverría, President of Interamerican Investment Group
The binational railway is yet another example of the alliance that exists between the(Mexico and the United States and the exchange of merchandise that supports development, economic growth, and use of resources in the region.
The organizing committee was formed by the Autonomous University of Baja California, as the official headquarters of the event, the Consulate of Mexico in San Diego and the United States Consulate in Tijuana, Smart Border Coalition, Index Tijuana, Baja Logistik Cluster, Baja California Railroad, San Diego Regional Chamber Of Commerce, MTS, Fundación Ferrocarriles de Baja California, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, ADMICARGA and the XXII City Council of Tecate.