The Chamber’s Defense, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee is focused on promoting and connecting the defense industry, veterans and their families, and military installations for the betterment of the regional economy and community. With major partners from the defense industry, non-profits specializing in veteran affairs, and government agencies among others, the committee engages in every component of the military and veterans spectrum, with special attention paid to the well-being of veterans as a substantial component of the regional workforce.
The Chamber’s Veteran Honor Roll program, led by the Defense, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee, recognizes businesses who hire veterans, military spouses, National Guard and reservists. Click here for more information on the program.
Another initiative the Chamber is proud to be a part of is the City of San Diego’s Coast Guard City. On February 23, 2017, Congress designated the City of San Diego as being a Coast Guard City. Click here for more information.
The Defense, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee meets the first Wednesday of each month from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. If you’re interested in learning more about our policy committees or would like to join the Defense, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee, contact Sophie Barnhorst at email@example.com.
2019 Focus Statement:
The Chamber’s Defense, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee is focused on promoting and connecting the defense industry, veteran and military families, and military installations for the betterment of the regional economy and community.
2019 Policy Platform:
The Chamber’s Defense, Veterans & Military Affairs Committee is committed to legislation, regulations, policies, and programs that:
- Protect and expand our defense industry, and businesses that focus on veteran and military families
- Supports the defense ecosystem (businesses that are engaged in defense-related work that you might not otherwise assume)
- Supports programs for veterans, including those that promote job placement and retention
- Supports appropriate compensation and minimizing taxes and fees for veteran and military families
- Promotes the healthcare-military nexus
- Increases access to quality healthcare for veterans
In addition, the committee is committed to:
- Supporting our partners’ efforts in protecting the military and defense communities
- Communicating importance of our regional military economy and key policy issues affecting it
Current committee members
Chair: Stephanie Brown, The Rosie Network
Vice Chair: Joseph Allen, Six Maritime