Update from the County of San Diego Public Health Officer regarding the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) for the San Diego region. Attached is Addendum 1 to the Order of the Health Officer, effective April 3, 2020 as of 12:00 a.m. Addendum 1 adds the following requirements to the existing Order of the Health Officer:
Effective 12:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 4, 2020:
- All employees who may have contact with the public in any grocery store, pharmacy/drug store, convenience store, gas station, restaurant or other business establishment that serves food shall wear a cloth face covering as described in the California Department of Public Health Face Covering Guidance.
- A cloth face covering:
is a material that covers the nose and mouth
can be secured to the head with ties or straps or simply wrapped around the lower face
can be improvised from household items, such as bandanas, cloth napkins, scarves, t-shirts, sweatshirts, or towels
DIY Face Coverings
No later than 12:00 a.m. on April 7, 2020:
- All businesses that remain in operation in accordance with the Order and that allow members of the public to enter a facility must prepare and post a “Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol” on the form attached to the Order for each of their facilities open to the public in the county.
- The Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol must be posted at or near the entrance of the relevant facility, and shall be easily viewable by the public and employees.
- A copy of the Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol must also be provided to each employee performing work at the facility.
- All businesses shall implement the Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol and provide evidence of its implementation to any authority enforcing this Order upon demand.
- The Social Distancing and Sanitation Protocol must ensure all required measures are implemented and must identify and require measures necessary to implement social distancing and sanitation at that facility.
- If the measures identified and implemented are not effective in maintaining proper social distancing and sanitation, additional measures shall be identified and implemented or the facility shall be closed.
- A fillable Social Distancing Protocol template can be found here and utilized to fulfill this requirement.
Cloth face coverings are strongly recommended for the general public, but there is no legal mandate for the general public at this time. Cloth face coverings are distinct and different from medical masks; they are not medical grade.