The Energy & Water Committee works to ensure the region’s energy and water supplies remain dependable and cost-effective.
On the energy-side, the committee advocates for investment in essential energy infrastructure and access to cost-effective renewable energy resources. With regard to water, the committee works with the San Diego County Water Authority, the City of San Diego Public Utilities Department, the Metropolitan Water District and other water agencies to improve the resiliency of the water system. Priorities of the committee are expanding the use of recycled water and seawater desalination.
The Energy & Water Committee meets the first Thursday of each month from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m. If you’re interested in learning more about our policy committees or would like to join the Energy & Water Committee, contact Sophie Barnhorst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Focus Statement:
The Chamber’s Energy & Water Committee is focused on improving the reliability, safety, and cost-effectiveness of regional energy and water initiatives.
2018 Policy Platform:
The Chamber’s Energy & Water Committee is committed to legislation, regulations, and policies that:
- Achieve greater supply and water independence
- Expands water reuse and recycling programs
- Integrated water resources management
- Recognize the region’s other investments in water supply and reliability
- Promote an affordable, safe, clean, reliable, sustainable, and diverse energy and water supply
- Help businesses better manage costs
- Help achieve greenhouse gas reduction mandates at local and state levels
- Promote cost-effective energy efficiency, storage, and water conservation measures
- Promote green jobs in the San Diego region
- Support public-private partnerships as worthwhile options
- Encourage innovation in water-energy technology
- Encourage water agencies to collaborate on water solutions such as waste water, water supply, recycled water, and stormwater as we move toward diversity of our supply sources and more local control and sources of drinking water.
In addition, the committee is committed to:
- Reviewing the cost impacts and responsible implementation of regional planning documents and regulations
Current committee members
Chair: Whitney Skala, Whitney M. Skala, A P.C.
Vice Chair: Hanna Grene, PXiSE Energy Solutions – Sempra Infrastructure