August 25, 2015
The Small Business Series advocates for a regional business climate that is deliberately supportive and empowering of small businesses. Because legislation that directly impacts businesses often has a disproportionate impact on small businesses, the Small Business Series spearheads the Chamber’s efforts to promote policy and provide resources that empower businesses to thrive.
The Small Business Series offers three trainings and events per year both in-person and virtual. If you’re interested in learning more about our policy committees or would like to receive info on our next Small Business Series program, contact Lauren Cazares at email@example.com.
Focus Statement: To strongly advocate for a regional business climate that is deliberately supportive and empowering of small businesses.
1. Increase the efficiency of government rules and regulations.
- Support legislation that improves the regulatory environment by streamlining processes when appropriate, and by adding flexibility for both employers and employees when possible.
- Support creating a more user-friendly experience for businesses when working with a public agency.
- Expand access to programs supporting small businesses.
- Oppose rules and regulations that result in:
- increased labor costs to businesses
- exposing businesses to litigation
- rules that are ambiguous, difficult, and/or costly to comply with such rules and regulations including price-setting by independent contractors mandated advanced scheduling requirements, and overly burdensome employer notification and training requirements
2. Increase the efficiency of the tax and fee structure
- Support tax incentives that help small business grow.
- Support a reduction in penalties for inadvertent noncompliance.
- Oppose proposals that add complexity and/or uncertainty to the current tax structure.
- Oppose efforts to lower the vote threshold to increase taxes and efforts to treat and tax commercial property differently than residential property.
- Oppose instituting a California Sales Tax on services.
- Avoid increasing taxes and fees at all levels of government, as they have negative impacts on the business climate and job creation.
- Support expediting refunds owed to businesses.
- Support allowing businesses to spread the payment of taxes or fees over
3. Support a balanced test for determining independent contractor versus employee status that reflects the needs of California’s economy and the workforce.