The following content is from our latest Policy Update newsletter. To get these updates directly to your inbox, sign up here.
The California Legislature passed a budget which included an additional $200 million for workforce training programs. According to the Public Policy Institute of California, if recent trends continue, California will likely face a shortage of skilled workers by 2025.
These skilled professions include high-wage industries, such as installation maintenance and repair (aircraft mechanics and technicians, industrial machine mechanics, etc.); protective services (police and sheriff’s patrol officers); and healthcare practitioners (registered nurses, radiologic technologists, etc.), among many others. Last month, the Chamber – along with 22 additional members of the Regional Economic Association Leaders Coalition – issued a letter in support of the proposed funding allocation.
Why this matters: In order to succeed, businesses need a large pool of educated and highly-skilled workers. By investing in our workforce, California is ensuring that future businesses will continue to innovate and thrive within the global marketplace.
60 percent of the new funding will go directly to community colleges; the other 40 percent will be invested in regional consortia where colleges and employers can work together to identify specific needs.
- REAL Coalition’s Letter to Governor Borwn, Senator de Leon, Assembly Member Rendon, Senator Leno & Assembly Member Ting
- California workforce training gets $200 million boost from budget
- California’s Need for Skilled Workers – Public Policy Institute of California
- Report: California faces 1.1 million shortage of educated workers