- This event has passed.
Webinar Series: Leading in a New Reality
February 9 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Moving Forward Together
Presented by LEAD San Diego in partnership with JONES and ABC 10News
Having experienced the turbulence of election season that brought deep divisions and an attack on our nation’s capitol, we are still in the midst of a pandemic. And COVID-19 has spotlighted extreme inequities in our country – in healthcare, access to education, and employment, among other things. Calls for a dismantling of racist systems, including police reform, continue and gain traction with new administrations locally and nationally.
But how we do move forward, and repair our communities when there is so much division, distance, and disagreement on what problems exist and how we tackle them?
How can we as leaders help our community move forward?
Our featured speakers this week include Executive Director of the ACLU San Diego & Imperial Counties Norma Chávez-Peterson, San Diego County Board of Supervisors Chair Nathan Fletcher, and JONES CEO Dr. Steven Jones. The conversation will be moderated by LEAD Vice President Elizabeth Fitzsimons.
To view all previous programs in this series, visit sdchamber.org/lead/webinars.
As requested during a previous program, we have compiled a reading list and a list of organizations to support.
Recommended reading list:
- How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi
- Between the World the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- A People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race, by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- How to Be an Inclusive Leader, by Jennifer Brown
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindedness, by Michelle Alexander
San Diego organizations to support:
- The Blue Heart Foundation
- Paving Great Futures
- Reality Changers
- STEAM Collaborative
- San Diego Central Black Chamber
- NAACP, San Diego Branch
- RISE San Diego
This is the thirteenth webinar in our series, Leading in a New Reality. Watch the previous episodes:
- The New Normal
- Boundaries & Schedules
- Strengths at Work
- Leading Through Crisis
- Managing Mental Health & Emotional Balance Through Uncertainty
- Community Service During Crisis: How to Serve at a Distance (AUDIO ONLY)
- Turning Point
- Ask the Experts
- Change Starts with Us
- Raising Kids to Raise Questions
- Understanding White Privilege & What it Means to be Anti-Racist
- Building Inclusion & Anti-Racism as a Core Part of Our New Normal