- This event has passed.
Webinar Series: Leading in a New Reality
March 3 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Effects of the Pandemic on Women in the Workforce
Presented by LEAD San Diego in partnership with JONES and ABC 10News
Women have historically been the Chief Executives of their households – caring for children and maintaining the home – all while typically managing their own careers. With the onset of the pandemic last year, we’ve seen these responsibilities grow as women have been expected to fill the roles of teacher, therapist, cook, and sometimes even referee. Some, unfortunately, have lost their jobs, and others have left the workforce to handle all the needs at home. These effects have been magnified in communities of color, which have higher unemployment rates than white communities.
What can we do to support our mothers, sisters, and neighbors during these extraordinary times? What systems need to be changed and can be put in place to ensure working women don’t have to choose between their families and their careers?
Our featured speakers this week include Life Transformation Strategist Roxanne Kymaani Ph. D.; Reporter, Writer & Writing Teacher Roxana Popescu, Ph. D.; and Chief of Staff to Supervisor Nora Vargas Denice Garcia, MPA. The conversation will be moderated by LEAD Vice President Elizabeth Fitzsimons.
To view all previous programs in this series, visit sdchamber.org/lead/webinars.
As requested during a previous program, we have compiled a reading list and a list of organizations to support.
Recommended reading list:
- How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi
- Between the World the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- A People’s History of the United States, by Howard Zinn
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race, by Beverly Daniel Tatum
- How to Be an Inclusive Leader, by Jennifer Brown
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindedness, by Michelle Alexander
San Diego organizations to support:
- The Blue Heart Foundation
- Paving Great Futures
- Reality Changers
- STEAM Collaborative
- San Diego Central Black Chamber
- NAACP, San Diego Branch
- RISE San Diego
This is the nineteenth webinar in our series, Leading in a New Reality. Watch the previous episodes:
- The New Normal
- Boundaries & Schedules
- Strengths at Work
- Leading Through Crisis
- Managing Mental Health & Emotional Balance Through Uncertainty
- Community Service During Crisis: How to Serve at a Distance (AUDIO ONLY)
- Turning Point
- Ask the Experts
- Change Starts with Us
- Raising Kids to Raise Questions
- Understanding White Privilege & What it Means to be Anti-Racist
- Building Inclusion & Anti-Racism as a Core Part of Our New Normal
- Understanding Police Reform
- Voting in the Time of COVID and Black Lives Matter
- Distance Learning and the Education Gap
- Mental Health
- Careers and Recruiting with a Post-2020 Perspective
- Moving Forward Together